Pinterest Hover Button

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Textile Center Garage Sale


The Textile Center Garage Sale in was held this past weekend in Minneapolis. I haven't really been very involved in anything at the Textile Center, since I'm 2 hours away, but this year I decided to become a member. My first event was the Garage Sale.

I volunteered to help with the Garage Sale Silent Auction items on Friday afternoon before the Friday "pre-sale" party and the Saturday sale. It went smoothly and was fun to see some of the different pieces that came through. One of the "perks" of volunteering is that you are allowed to purchase items at the end of your shift.

There were oodles of yarn and of course I picked up a bunch. Probably the most unusual yarn I got was 12 skeins of a Furlana yarn made with 80% merino and 20% possum fur. It's a yarn from New Zealand and looks interesting...... Also got some Euroflax linen, some aqua blue yarn perfect for a felted purse, and some odds and ends. All at great "garage sale" prices!


They also had knitting machines, looms, and sewing machines. I didn't see any spinning wheels, but I really don't need to start another hobby right now anyway. TONS of fabric, which I barely glanced at. Even though I'm a quilter, the rows and rows of tables were just so overwhelming that I concentrated just on yarn and didn't shop for fabric. I'll definitely be back next year!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this is listeningmoth. I couldn't figure out how to post anything but anonymously.

    Oh my gosh, that looks like so much fun! What an amazing event! Too bad it's so far from me. Is it an annual happening, I hope?

    I totally would have bought the possum fur, too. What does it feel like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura!
    Yes, this IS an amazing event! They had a lot of vintage fabric (indigo, french provincial, etc.) as well as bunches of yarn. And yes, lucky for me, it is an annual event!

    Surprisingly, the possum fur yarn just feels like a nice soft wool. Google shows lots of garments and items made from that in New Zealand - I guess they're trying to rid the overpopulation of possum in a resourceful way.

    ReplyDelete